Social Security Information


Applying for Social Security Retirement Benefits

If you have reached age 62 or over and are planning to retire and need to apply for Social Security retirement benefits or you need to apply for Social Security Disability Benefits, you can do so online through Social Security's website. You can also apply for benefits in person by visiting your local Social Security Office, which you can find by clicking here.  Alternatively, you can call this toll free number: 1-800-772-1213

If you need assistance with the process or help inquiring on the status of your claim, please contact my District Office at (757) 380-1000. You will also need to fill out a Constituent Consent and Information Form in order for my office to assist you.

Obtaining a Social Security Card

To apply for an ORIGINAL Social Security card, if you have never been assigned a Social Security number before, the Social Security Administration (SSA) needs at least two documents as proof of:

  • Age
  • Identity
  • U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status

IDENTITY DOCUMENTS THAT SOCIAL SECURITY CAN ACCEPT: Driver's license, employer ID card, passport, marriage/divorce record, adoption record, health insurance card (not a Medicare or Medicaid card), military record, life insurance policy, and school ID card.

Duplicate Social Security Card. 

To apply for a DUPLICATE card (same name and same number), the SSA needs proof of identity.

Corrected Social Security Card

To apply for a CORRECTED card (same number, different/new last name), SSA needs proof of identity.  One or more documents is also required that identify you by the old name on their records and your new name, e.g. a marriage certificate, divorce decree, a court order that changes your name. Or, the SAA will accept two identity documents – one in your old name and one in your new name.

Lost or Stolen Social Security Card

You can apply for a replacement card by filling out Form SS-5. The new card will have the same number as the one lost. If you have any questions, you may contact the SSA either through the SSA website or by calling (800) 772-1213.

Child’s Social Security Card 

Evidence of identification for INFANTS and YOUNG CHILDREN that Social Security Administration can accept include the following: doctor or clinic records, hospital record, daycare center records, school record, or religious record e.g. baptismal record.  The SSA must see any of these documents in the name you want shown on the card. The identity document must be of recent issuance. A document with a photograph is preferred. However, they can generally accept a non-photo identification document only if it has enough information to identify the child e.g. child's name, as well as age, date of birth or parents' names.

Disbursement Schedule of Benefit Payments

Social Security benefits are distributed based on the recipient's date of birth. Everyone who has enrolled since May 1, 1997, receives his or her check on the following payment schedule.  Birth date on:

  • 1st - 10th - Payment day is the second Wednesday of every month
  • 11th - 20th - Payment day is the third Wednesday of every month
  • 21st - 31st - Payment day is the fourth Wednesday of every month.

Beneficiaries receiving benefits prior to May 1997 or receiving both Social Security benefits and SSI payments, receive their benefits on the 3rd of the month if it is a business day.  If not, then the benefits are paid on the 2nd or the 1st of the month.

Expediting Your Claim for Social Security Benefits

The Social Security Administration is currently experiencing an extreme backlog of claims, which has had a significant impact on its processing times. The SSA has provisions in place to expedite claims for individuals facing severe financial and medical hardships such as impending foreclosure, eviction, terminal illness, or an inability to access life-saving medications.

If you need assistance expediting your claim, please contact my District Office. You will also need to fill out a Constituent Consent and Information Form in order for my office to assist you.  My office can contact the SSA to determine if your claim is eligible for expedited processing. While we can make the request, we cannot guarantee that any case will be expedited or granted a favorable decision.

Representation for Your Hearing for Social Security Benefits

If you are denied Social Security benefits, you can appeal to the Social Security Administration.  Although my office cannot represent you at your hearing, you may wish to contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives, an association of attorneys and paralegals who represent Social Security and Supplemental Security Income claimants.  NOSSCR’s Lawyer Referral Service can be reached at (800) 431-2804.