Agency Help

As a Member of Congress, one of my most important duties is helping my constituents access and navigate Federal government services, which is sometimes referred to as "casework." Please read these guidelines carefully to determine if my office will be able to assist you. To receive assistance from our office, you must first submit a Privacy Release Form including a detailed explanation of the nature of your concerns. Once the form is received, a caseworker will be assigned to your case and will keep you apprised of the progress. 

Am I eligible for assistance?

  • Are you a resident of the 3rd Congressional District of Virginia? You can check by entering your zip code here. If you are not a resident of the 3rd Congressional District of Virginia, you will need to contact your Representative. Alternatively, you can contact either of Virginia's United States Senators, Mark Warner or Tim Kaine.
  • Does your case involve a federal agency? provides a list of federal agencies in English and Español.
  • Does this case primarily involve you or your dependent? Privacy laws can limit your ability to represent another individual or group.

What types of assistance can Congressman Scott provide?

My office is here to assist constituents with problems involving a federal agency. I may make inquiries as to the status of your case, obtain additional information, or direct you to appropriate resources or services. Specifically, my office can:

  • Help you find basic information in the federal government.
  • Assist you with applying for federal benefits such as Social Security or Medicare.
  • Expedite a Passport
  • Initiate an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf.
  • Request information or a status report.
  • Act as a liaison with the federal agency.
  • Encourage a federal agency to give consideration to your case.

My role is to assure you a fair and thorough review of your case and to seek a timely response from a federal agency.

What types of assistance can Congressman Scott not provide?

Judicial Issues
Due to the Constitutional separation of powers, my office cannot help you with legal issues or court matters. If you need a lawyer, you can contact either a private attorney or, if you meet certain income requirements or are a senior, you can seek legal help from the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia.

Child Support
If you have a problem with child support enforcement, the Virginia Department of Social Services Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) may be able to assist you. You can reach them by calling their toll free Child Support Call Center at 1-800-468-8894.  DCSE also works to identify individuals who have the ability to pay support, but fail or refuse to do so.

All other concerns regarding a child support order, visitation agreement or custody should be handled through your private attorney and must be determined by a judge.

Can I get my case expedited?

It is rare that a case can be “sped up” for any reason other than extreme hardship. If you believe your situation merits faster processing, please contact my District Office. My staff will discuss your situation and help you determine the proper strategy.

Consent and Information Form

If you are eligible for assistance from my office, please fill out the Consent and Information Form. If you have any questions about eligibility for assistance through my office, please do not hesitate to call my District Office.

Click the links below for information that may immediately assist you: